Sunday, December 14, 2008

Getting to know you, and recommended reading

First off let me note that after twelve years in the broadcasting community, I said enough is a enough and decided it was time cut bait and move on. My move, to enroll at the Western Culinary Institute (a Le Cordon Bleu program). This wasn't the first time I had thought about it, but the first time that I moved forward and got out of my comfort zone - a zone I had been in for nearly half my life.

Also a free lance writer (of sorts). I've been blogging about baseball for several years now, my blog has been picked up (just recently) by a great sports blogging network and I write for another blog that just got purchased by a bigger company. So blogging about school, is easy (its just finding the time). Everyday last week I was in the Skills 2 kitchen by 6am class starts at 7a sharp with line-up where not only do we get checked out to make sure our whites are in order. But usually Chef Winter and her associate instructor Chef Matt grill us on the summary of cooking terms we should have learned the night before as part of our daily homework).

So here I am working on week 2 of a 3 week cycle, right now it's Skills 2. But I'll talk about that later, right now though I've come across many books lately and have started reading like a mad man. I mean, I love to read so why not? Here are some books that I've purchased in the last couple of weeks, though I'm going to list them I haven't read all of them yet.

  1. "The Making Of a Chef" Michael Ruhlman
  2. "The Soul of the Chef" Michael Ruhlman
  3. "The Reach of the Chef" Michael Ruhlman
  4. "Letters to a young Chef" Daniel Boulud
  5. "On Food and Cooking" Harold McGee
  6. "The Elements of Cooking" Michael Ruhlman

The McGee Book is a must have it was given to us when we recieved our text book bundles in Skills I.

0 comments:

Post a Comment