Monday, December 22, 2008

24 Hours...

The weather here in the Pacific Northwest has been horrible, I have visual evidence to this that I'll share in a later post. Yesterday I set about making Beef Stock (I have visual evidence of this as well).

I had about two pounds of beef bones and followed my procedure - now given I'm at home before roasting a pound of the bones were uncooked - another we had at Thanksgiving (a really nice roast).

So 24 hours later I'm blessed with a gallon of beef stock, now I'm headed back into the kitchen and taking those bones and making a remouillage.

Definition of a remouillage:
A second stock, usually made in restaurant kitchens from bones that have been used once for primary stock in order to make complete use of the bones.
The definition is from Micheal Ruhlman's "The Elements of Cooking". While I'm thinking about it, I've moved on to Rulman's third book "The Reach of the Chef".

Ok, where was I? Oh, that's right...

I'll use the remy where I would normally use water or even reduce it for sauces. Can't afford Veal bones so I'll use whatever I can get my hands on. Like I said I've got visual evidence of all of this process, though I didn't snap any shots while I spent at least once an hour skimming the top of the stock.

0 comments:

Post a Comment